Open the Gates and Seize the Day!
Oh the glory of gleaming white tiles!
In preparing to put our house on the market, we finalized all those last minute projects we probably should have tackled years ago. Our teal and maroon bathroom was first on the list. Yes, dark maroon tile with a lovely teal border. Teal and maroon… 1970s Philly’s baseball uniform teal and maroon.
Check out this newly transformed shiny white bathroom! All that glorious white could not go unadorned… it was time to seize the opportunity and seize the day. I was on a strict budget, because we were hoping our time in the house was limited, but I felt 2 hand towels, 1 bath rug, and a little inspiration from the Newsies worked great! Every morning started just a little happier with a shiny bright bathroom and Newsies tunes spinning in my head. I have a feeling these may reappear in our new home!
I can’t wait to keep painting walls and decorating rooms in our new place… patience is tough!
1. I used AmeriType font for the text, (downloaded for free from dafont.com).
2. I cut the phrase out of teal Bazzill cardstock using my Silhouette SD (obsessed with single color Bazzill cardstock).
3. I then traced an image of a man clicking his heels using the Silhouette software and cut the image in white Bazzill cardstock using my Silhouette SD.
4. I adhered my Newsie using foam tape, to give the image some depth.
5. I framed the images in white 8×10 frames from Target.
Confession of a *wannabe* crafter… I referred to the User’s manual for help with the “trace” feature!! I am love my Silhouette SD… and now Cameo (bashful face), but am still discovering all the potential! I discovered a whole new world!
It is graduation season and teacher appreciation week, and I am loving the “Smart Cookie” themes popping up all over Pinterest!
I was getting ready to file all these ideas away for future use (including my nephew’s kindergarten graduation), when I remembered that I get to celebrate and thank my daughter’s teachers this year! I am still getting used to the fact that I have a daughter… it has been 17 months, but it is still amazing to think there is another human… our daughter… living in this house!! It is truly unbelievable to experience how quickly time is flying by and how much we grow everyday.
our smart little cookie
The teachers at my daughter’s daycare have helped us parent-newbies learn so much about Samantha’s capabilities! This little kid is a rockstar because of the socialization and development she gets both at school and with her grandparents. I cannot say thank you enough to those that love and care for her while we are at work.
- I typed the “Thanks…. for making us such” sign using Rosewood and Duality fonts that I downloaded for free from dafont.com, and I printed the sign in brown ink on tan cardstock.
- Then I used my Silhouette to cut both the cookies and the glasses. I used two different shades of brown cardstock for the cookies and black cardstock for the glasses, to provide contrast. If you don’t have a Silhouette, you could easily create the same effect by cutting circles and using a hole punch for the chocolate chips!
- Once I had all my pieces cut, I assembled the Smart Cookies with foam tape to give the images depth. I conveniently placed the glasses over large chocolate chips to give the cookies eyes.
- I taped the sign to the top of a white bakery box and filled it with homemade chocolate chip cookies!
- I also taped the box shut so I wouldn’t eat any cookies.
- And… then I tied the box with bakers twine to make it even more difficult to sneak in and steal a cookie!
Confession of a *wannabe* crafter… This is not an original idea… there are smart cookie inspirations all over Pinterest. Just because an idea isn’t original doesn’t mean it isn’t fantastic! I can’t wait to use and re-use this idea in the years to come!